How to Transfer Photos from Google Photos to iCloud
The news of Google’s intention to limit unlimited storage in Google Photos to user-accessible space in Google Drive caught many by surprise. Despite the fact that the new rule will come into force only next summer, most have already begun to look for a way as painlessly as possible to abandon the once excellent service of the search giant in favor of another. As an alternative, many Apple device users have chosen iCloud , and rightly so. It remains to figure out how to painlessly transfer all your pictures and videos from Google Photos there.
To begin with, for a large photo library, the standard storage capacity in iCloud, equal to 5 GB, is clearly not enough. Most likely, one half of them will already be occupied by backups and the other half by snapshots and videos that were automatically uploaded to the cloud before. This means that you need to be prepared to subscribe to at least the most basic plan, which opens access to 50 GB storage. Fortunately, the subscription costs only 59 rubles per month, and even cheaper as part of the Apple One package.
How to download all photos from Google Photos
Now let’s talk about how you can download your data from Google Photos. Strange as it may seem, there are two ways to do this:
- If you need to download all the data at once, follow this link ;
- In the “Export Data” window, check the box next to “Google Photos”;
- Mark the necessary albums in the “All photo albums” tab, and then scroll down and click “Next”;
- Select the method of obtaining by link, as well as the type and size of the archive (select the maximum);
- Click “Create Export” and wait until the archive with the photo arrives in the mail.
How to download photos from one of Google Photos
Please note that I am writing this guide based on the way downloads work on a Mac. However, I’m sure there shouldn’t be much difference from a PC. Unless in the next step, when you need to upload uploaded photos to iCloud.
- If you need to download individual photos, follow this link ;
- Select specific images and videos (it is more convenient to do this by holding down the Shift key);
- Then select the context menu in the upper right corner and select “Download”;
- Confirm the download and wait until the selected photos and videos are downloaded to your computer.
- If you order the export of data, be prepared for the fact that the preparation of the archive may take some time. This usually happens pretty quickly. At least I received an email with data just a few minutes after I sent the request. However, if you have a lot of storage, Google may take a lot longer. Despite the fact that the archive is not generated manually, preparation can take up to several days. With selective loading, the wait will be minimal.
How to transfer photos to iCloud
Now you just need to transfer all data to iCloud. This is just as easy to do. In principle, you can do this through the Photos app on the Mac, but I find it easier to import into the web version of the cloud storage.
- Go to the iCloud website and log in;
- In the window that opens, select “Photo”;
- Select the photos you want to transfer on the computer;
- Drag them directly to the iCloud interface and wait for the download to complete.
As you can see, there is nothing fundamentally difficult in exporting photos from Google Photos to iCloud. Another thing is that Apple cloud storage does not offer unlimited space, so you will have to gradually switch to more expensive plans with a large volume as your media library grows.